Tuesday, March 29, 2011

the emergency emory board

so this is what happened
exactly as i can be
i had split my nail and it was coming
very near the nailbed and i didn't
have an emory board
so i was in manhattan
where you can get anything you want
and i walk about ten blocks, then
fifteen and there's lots of places
to pick up matches
but nowhere a girl can get an
emergency emory board
this, thought i, is exactly how we know
that this world is organized for the benefit
and to satisfy the fantasies of men and not women
if we were matriarchal, i would be able to acquire
a single emory board for 5 or 10 cents along with
my solo cigarette
i am now half a block from my destination
a two hour bus ride awaits me
with ample opportunities amplifying in my imagination
to split my nail into its nailbed
suddenly i see a beautiful young
woman dressed in white
spandex pants, a flowery short shirt
under a sporty leather looking jacket
long blonde hair, ten inch heels
she towers above me - what eyes!
and was not a man
a sweet mien met my request
for an emory board
she looked quizzically at me but
just for a moment while
i was showing her this split
and then offering that
i didn't have any diseases
or anything
like that
she was reaching into her purse
bringing out and reaching towards me
a wide emory board decorated
with pink 1960's deco flowers
back and forth the emergency emory board
eased the split in my already
very short nail
quietly realizing
her jet black
pimp was standing next to me
and
perhaps a few customers waiting
was the explanation of the men lurking
all around us, shoulder length away
i finished - nail smooth
handed her the emory board
said thank you so much
she smiled - what a smile!
said to me
"welcome to new york"
i ask you: does this woman
not deserve free health care?

No comments:

Post a Comment